A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New Forum Announcement - February 11, 2011
February 12, 2011
4:15 pm
Chuck Slusarczyk Jr.

Head-Honcho
Forum Posts: 1425
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi All,

I wanted to give you all a head's up on some changes you will all be experiencing in the forums soon.  Earlier this month we were informed by our hosting company that were getting a bit too large for our server, in fact, we were the highest user on the server.  An immediate upgrade to a larger server was required, and a review of our site was in order to see where we could cut down on some things that are bandwidth hogs, and we came up with a couple things that will help us a lot.

While our photobase is a large contributor to our overall size, it is apparently not the bandwidth hog that other parts of the site are.  We discovered that the platform that hosts our forums itself was a large consumer of our resources, so we are switching to a "lighter" platform.  It will appear very similar to what we have now, it will just be a lot friendlier to our hosting company, and ultimately help cut down on costs in the long run.  We will also be eliminating and consolidating some of the little or underused boards.  We also had to look at what else made our forums so "heavy", and a big part of that was the ability to post photos in the threads.  Now...I like that ability myself, but we are going to eliminate that in favor of using remote photo hosting platforms such as Picasa (recommended) to link to any photos you want to post.

One more thing you will notice, will be the elimination of the FlightSim Screenshots gallery.  I know it's very popular among some of you, but in the overall picture we had to make a decision, and while I enjoyed it myself, it was underused and taking up space and bandwidth.  We will still have the FlightSim Discussion board, as that is used quite a bit.  We can set up a Sticky Topic for screenshots within, and you can post your flightsim shots via Picasa, Flikr, or similar sites.

This has nothing to do with our recent reformation of the site itself.  Our new front page and format is actually much less of a resource hog than our old one was.  It's just that as we continue to grow, we're going to need more space!

The look of the forums will change a bit, but the overall functionality won't be changing. But there will be changes, and I wanted you all to know ahead of time.  I'm not too good with explaining the technical aspects of why this is necessary, but I hope I was clear enough.  Feel free to post any questions or comments, and what I can't answer, I'm sure Mark can.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for all you do to make this site a cool place to hang out!

Best Always,

Chuck

February 12, 2011
7:45 pm
nconrad

Samurai Geek
Members
Forum Posts: 249

Works for me, Chuck. Is Picasa the preferred photo hosting site or does it not matter?

February 12, 2011
9:18 pm
Mark Plumley
Garfield Heights

Webmaster
Forum Posts: 430

It does not matter. We are hosting a group for flight sim photos and other non aviation photos such as bird shots or other stuff later maybe on Picasa. We can send anyone a invitation the group if you want to share there. Pm Chuck or I and the invite will be on the way.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

February 13, 2011
2:11 pm
707guy
Members
Forum Posts: 530

Sounds good guys - thanks for the heads up!  I'm guessing that we can link to a photo that's in the database without a problem right?

February 13, 2011
2:36 pm
Mark Plumley
Garfield Heights

Webmaster

Links are ok. And we have a Picasa group available if anyone wants to upload there. Flight Sim and bird shots for now.

February 15, 2011
12:16 am
Mark Plumley
Garfield Heights

Webmaster

Important Update:

We will begin implementing the forum change this evening. Don't be alarmed!! What you will see will not be the finished product, but it will function normally. We are commencing the move so that we can start bringing down our usage quickly.

One thing you will all have to do is to reset your passwords. You don't have to re-register, just reset your password. Just click on the link to reset your password, and you will be sent a temporary password. Once you log back in with the temporary one, you can reset it to what you want via your profile.

Again, what you will see this evening will not be the final look, just temporary, and it is to get us in line with proper bandwidth usage sooner than later.

Thanks for your understanding!!

February 15, 2011
4:01 pm
Chuck Slusarczyk Jr.

Head-Honcho

Where is everybody? Is anyone having any issues? Remember, this is an interim phase we are in here...you will see a more OPShots look shortly, but it won't be the "heavy" look we had previously.

Any comments, or thoughts?

February 15, 2011
8:53 pm
nwfedex757

Citizen Geek
Members
Forum Posts: 81

Well had a little trouble gettting my temp passwood ...I finally got it but cant get anywhere to reset my password...George

February 15, 2011
9:18 pm
Chuck Slusarczyk Jr.

Head-Honcho

You go to your profile, and hit "edit". You can change your password in there. What kind of trouble did you have getting the temp password? Seems others are having the same issue...

To get to your profile page, click on your name at the top right, above "Hot Tags"

February 15, 2011
9:44 pm
707guy
Members
Forum Posts: 530

When I got the first "change your password" email it just had a link that sent me back to the log-in page. I received another email shortly after that one and it had the temp password in it. Worked fine after that. Question - are we going to be able to do our own avatar for the forums?

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 679

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

707guy: 530

yakc130: 351

masseybrown: 318

Corey Betke: 255

nconrad: 249

michi: 205

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 211

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 15

Topics: 1657

Newest Members:

bertita, perla67, Barbarahat

Administrators: Mark Plumley: 430, Chuck Slusarczyk Jr.: 1425, Cole Goldberg: 271

New Forum Announcement - February 11, 2011 | Site News and Updates | Forum