A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Remembering September 11, 2001
September 11, 2011
3:52 am
Chuck Slusarczyk Jr.

Head-Honcho
Forum Posts: 1425
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

All day today, September 10th 2011, I've been trying to think of something to say to commemorate the tenth anniversary of an event that would change all of our lives forever. 

September 11th and the days that followed were such a mind-numbing and visceral experience that I couldn't form a cohesive train of thought to say what I want to say.  To tell the truth, I don't know what it is that I want to say, so I'm just going to free-flow...

I was off work that day.  I slept in a bit and got up sometime shortly after nine.  I was attending to some morning rituals when my aunt telephoned and asked me if I had heard that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center.  As I hadn't turned on the radio or TV yet, I told her I hadn't.  She began describing the events to me, and I walked into the living room and turned on CNN. 

I was telling her how weird it was, but also telling her that planes have crashed into tall buildings before, but since the weather was so nice, that this was going to be an interesting accident to figure out.  At the same time, I began seeing the live footage and kept hearing the anchors saying that it was a "small plane", and even while I was talking about other things, my mind was telling me that that just wasn't right.

What I was seeing was a vertical representation of ValuJet's flight 592 crash in the Everglades, only bigger. I had seen pictures of the DC-9's impact site, and it always appeared to me like a profile view of Saturn and its rings.  That is to say, it had a large circular hole in the middle, with virtually identically sized thin extensions emanating from near centerline of what was obviously the fuselage impact site.  It was clear to me then that something big had plunged into the building in the same manner, only horizontally.

I remember pacing in my living room fueled by the adrenaline of seeing what I was seeing, and trying to talk as fast as I could to my aunt...basically thinking out loud about what could have happened and why, when the second plane hit.

I remember just stopping still...I was looking but not comprehending.  Wait a minute...was that a second plane?  Neither my aunt or myself said anything.  Really?  Was that a second plane? Uh uh...I must have missed something because that was definitely a United 767 and I don't remember hearing anything about that...

Well...we all know how it turned out.  I went into work the next day even though they told me I didn't have to and could do so with pay.  I volunteered to monitor the Continental Operations tower at the end of the C concourse while the FBI and others did a complete and thorough security sweep of the concourse.  At one point, I was the sole person on the concourse, and then the sweep began.

My job was to answer the phones and to take notes of every single call.  I fielded a multitude and wound up with twelve legal-sized pages of calls.  All in all, it was creepy.  Creepy when I got there and creepy when I left.  It was so strange to see a place so normally full of people utterly deserted.

When I left for the night, I walked the ramp outside.  The silence and emptiness of the ramp areas outside were profound.  I can't remember how many planes we had here, but the ones present were buttoned up by maintenance and appeared like they were in long term storage with engine covers and absolutely no peripherals such as air carts or running APU's. 

If I remember correctly, I did have the next couple days off like most the rest of us, and while some of the after-details seem to have entered that realm of things best left forgotten, I will never forget the day itself and the pain of seeing that second plane, and then the news of the two that followed.

As a consequence of this, I was furloughed for six months along with twelve others from my department.  I was lucky enough to be called back, but it turned out I was the last.  Eight others weren't so lucky.

No...I can't forget...how can I?  How can anyone? 

September 11, 2011
10:35 am
beagle1966

Citizen Geek
Members
Forum Posts: 106

I was still living in England at that time and was off sick, recovering from a broken leg. It was about lunchtime and I had just returned from the hospital, having had my plaster cast removed. I made coffee, sat on the sofa and turned on the TV for an afternoon of daytime TV. At first I thought I was watching some kind of film, which was using real news anchors. It seemed a small plane had hit the one of the WTC towers in NYC.

Then the second plane appeared and ploughed into the second tower. The news commentators were sort of..." was that an airliner? It sure looked like a big plane! Hang on we are getting more reports..." The reality of it all was gripping television. Confusion, shock, disbelief and horror.

As the afternoon (UK is 5 hours ahead) progressed, it became obvious that this was a concerted attack on not just the US, but the free democratic world. I knew that nothing would ever be the same again. Over the years, we British had become hardened to terrorist atrocities of different kinds, but this was something America had not experienced (Oklahoma excepted)on her own soil, and was on a completely different scale and in a different league. The effect on the American people would be permanent long-lasting and it has been very noticeable to me, as a foreigner, in the approach to this anniversary. 

We will never forget!

September 11, 2011
12:03 pm
707guy
Members
Forum Posts: 530

Thanks for the thoughts Chuck.  I think every year on this date I think back to what I was doing that day and how I heard about the attacks.  My son was home sick from school that day and I was at a McDonalds down the street picking up breakfast.  I was listening to Howard Stern on the radio and he was talking about a plane hitting the WTC.  I got home a couple mins later and watched the whole thing on TV like everyone else.  I remember becoming more concerned when the report of a plane headed toward Cleveland came on along with video of buildings downtown being evacuated.  We must always be vigilant and never forget...

September 11, 2011
5:04 pm
redngold
Northeast Ohio

Excentric Geek
Members
Forum Posts: 147

Ten years ago I woke up to a ringing phone. It was 11:29 AM and my boss called to tell me not to come in to work. The school was being evacuated… "There are planes hitting buildings and people are very upset." I had slept through all of the actual attacks on 9/11 but once I turned on the TV I was immediately affected by the images.

My sister had just started working in Manhattan and I didn't even remember that until I called a friend and asked if I could come over to her house (to not be alone). My friend asked about my sister and I freaked out. My friend came and picked me up. When I went out to the street to wait for her, it was eerily quiet, with no traffic [Euclid Avenue in University Circle]; but an ambulance and fire truck were staged across the street, sitting silently with their lights on.

After two hours of watching replays of the day's horrific events, I suddenly remembered that my sister worked in a computer lab. My friend had a computer and internet service (something I didn't have myself) and I scrambled to check my e-mail. There was a note from my sister. She was about 40 blocks from the WTC and couldn't see anything – not even the smoke. Later she would tell me that when she rode the train back home, it was silent and so many people were obviously in emotional shock, not even reading newspapers or talking on the phone.

My friend, her family, and I went to a hastily planned but well carried-out church service that evening. Soon after that decided to go home. I was low on gas so I went to a gas station closer to my apartment. It was Arab-owned and operated [This is the station on Chester Ave. at E 79th St.].  While a citizen-owned gas station was gouging people at $3.00/ga [Armbruster's Shell on the west side], the station I chose was selling premium at $1.49 instead of $1.79… because they had bled their tanks dry of economy and mid-grade. I couldn't help but to think that this was a clear example of who was patriotic and who was not.

That's my story of 9/11. May we never have to live through it again.

Some additional thoughts:

* I was still asleep because I worked second shift.  My alarm was set for 11:30 and went off while I was on the phone.  How ironic was that?

* My first thought when I saw the image on TV was "it isn't the rapture"

* Initially I only saw the burning towers on the television; I quickly turned it off and called my friend immediately.  I didn't know they had collapsed until my friend told me.

* Having lived near NYC for ten years, I had been to the WTC observation deck at least five times, probably seven.  Most people I spoke with during the aftermath had no idea just how massive each tower was.

* A former colleague told us that, while he was working near the top of the GE building (the tower at Rockefeller Center) he heard the sound of a jet engine, looked out his window and saw clearly the American Airlines logo on the tail of American 11.  He thought it was unusual but shrugged it off until he heard what had happened and was evacuated from the building.

* A classmate from high school had been in one of the WTC buildings at a meeting.  She left 15 minutes before the first plane hit.

* My mother was a school social worker and had colleagues and students who lost family members.

* Since 9/11 whenever I discuss what happened that day I try to focus on the positive.  This is not to undercut the horror and loss of the day... rather to put it in some perspective so that people understand how worse it could have been.  Only 4 planes were hijacked; planes that were not even half full. The towers were hit well before the time of day when they would have been filled with employees and tourists.  United 93 never hit a building; crashed in a field, rather than a populated area; and didn't hit an underground coal mine.

September 11, 2011
5:07 pm
Richrock
Cleveland

Citizen Geek
Members
Forum Posts: 88

I was out in the pond listening to Howard Stern too..I remember he was talking about his usual funny filth, Pam Anderson to be exact, and kept stopping to say one of the towers were on fire..it was special listening to him cause I felt like I was there with him..I remember him stating we are under attack!..that's when I really started to feel the fear growing in me..I pretty much became numb after I watched the towers collapse, and still can't get those horrific visions outta my head..

September 11, 2011
8:19 pm
drpepper

Apprentice Geek
Members
Forum Posts: 188

I will always remember exactly where I was that day because I was on the starting line of the SCCA Solo Nationals in Topeka KS (First link what Solo is, second link a recap of last year's event. It is the largest participatory motorsports event in the world.)

To this day I don't really know if I was being held at the line because of an issue with a car on the course or with the events unfolding in NYC. I remember starting to stress because of the wait, and my catching my buddy Jay out of the corner of my eye. He had walked around the outside of the course to get my attention and motioned for me to shut off the car. When he got closer I asked him what was happening, he said nothing and not to turn on the radio (we use FM transmitters to broadcast times and results, so I thought others in my class were going even faster than me on their runs). I remember taking my runs and pulling back into grid, then paddock. People were huddling around their tow vehicle radios, I think mostly NPR since that was on the low end of the dial close to the frequency we were broadcasting on. One of the people from our group had come back from his hotel and had taped the TV on his camcorder and replayed the horrific images being broadcast live.

The aviation connection for me was our event was being at Forbes Field in Topeka, home of the 190th Air Refueling Wing. It spread quickly throughout paddock that all 1100 cars, and 1200 participants would need to leave, now. Since the event is spread across two courses and four days, not everyone was on site, but that didn't really matter. People hooked up their trailers, other peoples trailers, everything and just moved.

There was only one way in/out of the site and it immediately turned into a one way OUT. A single airport policeman gave you a choice when you got to him; left toward the cornfields and I-70, right toward Topeka, or straight ahead into a big field. No time for deliberation, just go. Jay and I turned left and left again into a small office parking lot to just watch the chaos unfold. The office turned out to be the airport administration offices, and we got to talk to the President of the MTAA and several staff. A newspaper person showed up to get their reaction and asked us a bunch of questions.

Long story short, we spent the rest of the day watching TV at the hotel, the next morning at a little mom and pop diner talking with people, and Wednesday night at what was to be our awards banquet after Day 2 runs talking about how the rest of the week's schedule would go on, if at all. It ended up that our event was done, Thursday/Friday competitors would get half their runs, and it would be a much different world we would all return to. I still remember the gate to Airbase the next day surrounded with concrete barricades taken from Kansas DOT, the tarmac and hangars ringed with heavy equipment and school buses, and our event site perimeter patrolled by a fully loaded Humvee with M-60 on top.

I had actually bought a car from a competitor out there and instead of being transported home, it ended up carry competitors that could not get a flight home, and ended up in Columbus, Ohio at the end of that week.

Today I participated in the 9/11 National Day of Service and helped paint some rooms at Y-Haven.

You need to be a member to view our links.

and a lone candle is burning on my front steps below my flag.

September 28, 2011
6:33 pm
707guy
Members
Forum Posts: 530

Amazing story DR.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 679

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

707guy: 530

yakc130: 351

masseybrown: 318

Corey Betke: 255

nconrad: 249

michi: 205

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 211

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 15

Topics: 1657

Newest Members:

bertita, perla67, Barbarahat

Administrators: Mark Plumley: 430, Chuck Slusarczyk Jr.: 1425, Cole Goldberg: 271

Remembering September 11, 2001 | Anything Goes | Forum